Time. It’s an odd thing, isn’t it? There are days that seem like they’ll never come to a close, but in the end we’re all left thinking we didn’t have enough time to get things done.
We read time travel books and watch time travel movies, and they make us think (mostly about how time travel doesn’t work, imho). Humans essentially made up the concept of time passing so we could put our existence into some kind of order.
So it only seems fair that this post about time shakes up your world just a tiny bit.
14. America’s 10th President still has two living grandchildren
John Tyler fathered a son at the ripe age of 63, and he has two living grandchildren in their 80s.
13. The evolution of aviation was crazy fast
We went from the Wright Brothers barely managing to stay aloft for a solid minute (1903), to using aircraft for nuclear strikes (1945), to landing on the moon (1969) in under 70 years. Pretty freaking wild, right?
12. The first fax machine was invented while people were traveling on the Oregon Trail
11. By 2014, we were taking more photos every two minutes than were taken in the entire 19th century
Granted, photography wasn’t invented until 1826, but still. This is pretty mind blowing (it definitely would be mind blowing to those people who lived in 1826).
10. When Warner Bros. opened for business, the Ottoman Empire was still a thing
9. Star Wars was released the same year as France’s last execution by guillotine
1977 was a big one, apparently. As someone who was born in 1979, I have to say that the guillotine seems like it belongs in a totally different history book than Darth Vader.
8. Betty White is literally older than sliced bread
7. Tiffany’s has been around longer than Italy
6. Fox has premiered (and canceled) close to 250 television shows while The Simpsons has been on the air
Earlier this year, the show completed its 28th season. That is insane.
5. Before 2016 (editors note: GO CUBBIES), the Chicago Cubs hadn’t won a World Series since before women had the right to vote
4. Everything in this full-page Radio Shack ad now exists in a single smart phone
3. Cleopatra lived closer to the time of Pizza Huts than the pyramids
2. Humans comprise only about .004% of Earth’s history
1. Harvard was founded before the invention of calculus
We think you might like these posts from Did You Know?