Niantic just announced that Pokémon GO will be getting not one, but two events during this special holiday period!
Lots to cover, so let’s get into it!
We’re Getting Incubators For FREE
Starting the morning of December 25th, you’ll get a free egg incubator with your first spin of a PokéStop. This will go on until the afternoon of January 3rd, 2017.
The only catch? It’s single use, meaning it’ll only hatch one egg and then can’t be reused.
Overall, a positive thing… but it certainly wouldn’t have killed them to just give us a typical egg incubator.
Increased Babies Hatching
Niantic also claims that there’s an increased chance of getting eggs that have Togepi, Pichu, Cleffa, Elekid, Magby, Smoochum and Wigglytuff. This is welcome news for folks like myself who have hatched about 30 eggs since the babies were released and only received one baby for the trouble.
Many are wondering why Tyrogue still isn’t included in this first batch of babies. Some have speculated that it’s because Tyrogue can evolve into Hitmontop, and Niantic doesn’t want to release adult Gen 2 Pokémon until sometime next year. The only problem with that logic is Togepi can evolve into Togetic and somebody has already hatched enough Togepis to evolve into a Togetic.
Regardless of what hasn’t been released, increased baby hatches should make the game more fun as we see more of these toddlers show up in gyms. Because, let’s be honest, Elekid looks awesome. I’d love to power one of those up and take down a Vaporeon just once.
More Holiday Pikachus Spawning
You know those electric rats wearing Santa hats you’ve been catching for a week now? Well, get ready… because there will be more!
Initially, Niantic said that Holiday Pikachu would only be hanging around until the middle of December 29th, but apparently they’ve changed their mind and then new date is January 3rd? The reason I put that question mark at the end of that sentence is due to the following statement…
In addition, from the afternoon of December 30, 2016, through the afternoon of January 8, 2017 (PST), the first partner Pokémon and their Evolutions, originally discovered in the Kanto region, are more likely to be encountered.
I’ll talk more about the starters showing up in a second, but are Holiday Pikachu going to stop on January 3rd or January 8th?
The way that Niantic’s statement is worded, the incubators, babies and Holiday Pikachu are only going to increase from December 25th until January 3rd, but it’s not entirely clear as of right now.
We’ll have to wait and see if there’s any additional clarification in the future.
More Gen 1 Starters And Their Evolutions Spawning
THIS! This could literally save the whole Holiday event.
Because if Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, and Blastoise are going to spawning a lot more, it’ll be like the Halloween event all over again… but with useful gym battlers.
Let’s face it, while the Halloween event was fun, Gengar is really the only worthwhile attacker (or defender) we got out of it. Sure, we got a lot more candy, but who was powering up their Persians and Marowaks after the event?
With a chance to fill out our roster with more high-powered Venusaurs, Charizards and Blastoises on the horizon, from the afternoon of December 30 through the afternoon of January 8th, we could see A LOT more of these evolved starters in gyms. And that could bring a nice change of pace to those battles.
Lure Modules Last An Hour
Niantic’s statement ended with this:
As a way to increase your chance to encounter one of these Pokémon, Lure Modules will also last for 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
Translated: You know those things we don’t give away at PokéStops? Those last twice as long. So buy more. Cha-ching.
Yes, yes… I know I sound bitter. But let me expain…
I know Niantic technically didn’t have to do anything (although that would be game suicide at this point), but what was nice about the Halloween and Thanksgiving events were there were fewer incentives tied to purchasing items from the store. The only thing that helped get the most out of either event was using more lucky eggs, but you didn’t need to purchase them to take part.
For these two Holiday events, you either have to purchase Egg Incubators if you want to get the full effect from having multiple going at a time, which most trainers are doing nowadays, or purchase Lure Modules to get more opportunities to catch the Kanto starters. The second one isn’t that bad, because I’m sure those Kanto starters are going to be popping up everywhere, but that Egg Incubator thing still bugs me. There’s just no other way to take part in that part of the event in any meaningful way than to purchase incubators. One, single-use incubator a day just isn’t going to be enough.
Regardless of any gripes I have, there’s a lot going on during the Holidays, so I’m thankful the game is getting some more variety. Personally, I wouldn’t mind events every other week to get Gen 2 going. The more they have these events, the more excited trainers get. We shall see.
Want even more Pokémon Go info, including some things to learn about Generation 2? Check out our other articles today!
- The 10 Best Gen 2 Pokémon Attackers
- The 10 Cutest Pokémon In Generation 2!
- The 10 Best Gen 2 Pokémon Defenders
- The 6 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Pokémon GO
- Want a PokéStop Near You? Players Have Finally Discovered a Way to do It.
- VIDEO: The Best New Attackers In Pokémon GO By Type
- VIDEO: Niantic Rebalances Pokémon CP in Massive Pokémon GO Update
- VIDEO: YouTube Trainers Share What It’s Like at the Lapras Event
- Virtually Hatch 9 10KM Eggs With A Very Patient Redditor
- What Would Your Favorite Pokémon Look Like if it Were Human?
- Pokémon GO Has Made the World a Healthier Place
- 3 Reasons Why Pokémon GO Spawn Rates & Times Increased After Halloween Event
- Niantic Announces a New Feature to Help Catch Rare Pokémon!
- Pokémon GO Helps UK Animal Shelter Raise $13K in One Night
- South Korea’s Pokémon GO-nuts: Gotta Munch ‘Em All
- Pokéanatomy – An Artistic Vision of the Science Behind a Pokémon’s Inner Workings!
- UK Artist Cat Ward Is Evolving Pokémon into Mandalas
- Pokémon of New York: A Hilarious Parody of Humans of New York
- The Elusive Ditto: Everything We Know About The Pokémon Everybody Wants To Catch
- Pokémon GO Battle Guide: The Best Moves For Each Species
- Find Out The Perfect IVs For 2km, 5km, & 10km Egg Hatches
- The Hardest Pokémon to Catch in Pokémon GO
- Pokémon GO Candy Predictions for Gen 2 Evolutions
- These 10 Pokémon are the Most Powerful in Pokémon GO Right Now
- Quiz: How Many of These 20 Original Pokémon Can You Name?
- A Guy Caught A Pokémon While He Was Fighting ISIS
- A Guy Played Pokémon GO at 3AM and Got More Than He Bargained For