When Hocus Pocus burst onto the movie scene in 1993, it was the culmination of almost a decade of work, but what fans probably remember best are the fabulous performances of Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker as the Sanderson sisters. It started off slow at the box office, but went on to become a cult classic. For 25 years, kids, and many of their parents, have made watching this dark-ish comedy a part of their Halloween tradition.
There are, however, some fun Easter eggs that even big fans of the movie may not be aware of. If you think you’re one of them, keep reading and see if any of the below surprise you!
1. The fountain Dani and Allison celebrate the witches’ death around is the fountain from Friends.
Hey, both groups are still having a great time, right?
2. Leonardo DiCaprio was almost Max, but he chose to do What’s Eating Gilbert Grape instead.
I mean, the latter did get him an Oscar nomination, so I think it was a good decision.
3. They made 7 statues for the scene where Bette Midler’s character turns to dust in the sunlight.
That’s a lot of creepy Bette Midler face.
4. How did Winifred know to ask Max about his driver’s license, as cars didn’t exist when she died?
She JUST learned what asphalt was, for Pete’s sake!
5. Kathy Najimy watches the movie every year, and Midler said it’s one of her favorite films she’s ever worked on.
Can you blame them? Look at those costumes!
6. Each of the little witches who takes the sister’s brooms, look just like little versions of the grownup sisters.
Okay, this one’s a little obvious, but still cute, right?
7. Rosie O’Donnell was set to play Mary Sanderson, but she was worried the role would be bad for her image, so Kathy Najimy got the gig.
Bet she’s kicking herself now!
8. The film was set in 1993, and while there is a full moon in the movie, there wasn’t one in real life. The next Halloween full moon isn’t until 2020!
You gotta have a full moon when creepy witches are involved, though.
9. Jason Marsden voiced Binx the cat, not Sean Murray. Producers thought Murray sounded too modern.
I guess his costume and boyish good looks were distracting enough to make him believable while he was in human form.
10. Binx was portrayed by 9 different cats.
You know, because cats have nine lives…I’ll see myself out.
11. The Zippo Max grabbed from the gift store to bring down the “burning rain of death” would not have had fuel in it. Just something to ponder.
No matter how well you think you know a movie, there are always surprises!