Bored with your block? Agitate the gravel and travel to these more interesting places. Our world is a weird, wonderful place and these pics will prove it.
1. “Crooked House” in Sopot, Poland
2. Bran Castle, Transylvania, linked to the sadistic Vlad the Impaler, inspiration for Bram Stoker’s “Dracula.”
3. House carved in stone by 15th century Romanian Monk
4. The Kansas City Public Library Parking Garage
5. Capilla de la Virgen del Rosario, Templo de Santo Domingo, Puebla de los Ángeles, México
Constructed between 1650-1690, the Rosary Chapel was the first Mexican chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
6. Pierpont Morgan Library and Museum, New York City
This National Historic Landmark in New York City was started with the donation of JP Morgan’s personal library.
7. Ruins of Persepolis, Iran
Dates back to 515 BC. The 111 steps to the terrace of the Gate of All Nations (pictured below) were built with low risers so that visitors would look regal as they ascended.
8. Singer House, aka House of Books, St. Petersburg
Originally built in 1904, the Russian headquarters of Singer Sewing Machine Company should have been a skyscraper like its New York City sister. But building codes dictated no building be taller than the Winter Palace. So, architect Pavel Suzor designed the stunning Singer House in the art nouveau style instead. It is now a book store.
9. Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, was built into the rocks and opened in 1956.
10. The Haines Shoe House is a 2BR in Pennsylvania that started as a publicity stunt but remains open to this day for tours.
12. Chene Chapelle, or Oak Chapel, is a hollow tree that was turned into two sanctuaries for worship in 1669 and is still in use today.
King Louis XIV was in power.
13. The Sumela Monastery in Turkey is built into the cliffside.
We are a world filled with creativity, art and humor. Inspiration is all around, if you look!