I love going to New York City. But it can be pricey, depending on what kind of traveler you are. Some folks want to dish out fistfuls of cash, go to Broadway shows, and eat at the nicest restaurants.
Other people, like me, prefer to experience NYC in the cheapest way possible. Sure, I’ll go out for a decent meal, but I also just like to wander around, people watch, and take in the sights and sounds in different neighborhoods.
Here are 14 things you can do for absolutely free in New York City if you happen to find yourself in that great city.
1. Explore the New York Public Library.
2. Check out the galleries in Chelsea.
3. Of course, spend some time in Central Park.
4. Take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
5. Tour the Brooklyn Brewery for free.
6. Check out the different farmer’s markets in the city.
7. Take a walk on the High Line.
8. Watch the street performers (and tip them!).
9. Check out museums when they have free hours.
10. Go to the beach.
11. Visit Brooklyn Bridge Park.
12. Join in on a free yoga class.
13. Find a free comedy show.
14. Cruise on the Staten Island ferry.
Got any other helpful (cheap) tips for traveling to the Big Apple?
Share them in the comments, please!