Therapy and asking for mental health resources are both becoming more normal and even celebrated in society. That said, we still have a long way to go when it comes to making them accessible to everyone, and also to dispelling the stigma across the board.
You’re lucky though, clicking this link – we’ve got 15 people willing to share their own best tips from their time on the couch, so keep scrolling!
15. Focus on your senses.
What can you see, hear, touch, taste right now?
14. It’s all about what you can imagine.
You might as well imagine the best.
13. Confrontation can be healthy.
As long as you use it to your advantage.
12. The only person who decides what you should do is you.
Say it with me now.
11. No one is happy all of the time.
And honestly, why would you want to be?
10. We wear them, sure.
But we are NOT them.
9. Lose the idea of “brutal honesty.”
It doesn’t have to be that way.
8. Stay in the light.
The coping mechanisms on the dark side are more fun, though.
7. You have to feel the feelings.
Don’t linger with the unproductive ones, though.
6. You are who you want to be.
Everyone else needs to adjust their lens.
5. We’re all just human.
We make mistakes, we do the wrong thing. Forgive yourself.
4. You have to communicate.
Take this one to heart.
3. If you can’t let something go, look in the mirror.
You can probably figure out why that way.
2. It’s not your mind warning you against something.
It’s just your brain on the fritz.
1. I learned this by being a parent.
I repeat it to myself through gritted teeth sometimes.
I’m feeling ready to dive back into my day now – after a cup of coffee, maybe.
Which of these did you enjoy the most? Let us know in the comments, and if you’ve got your own pearls of wisdom, leave those below, too!