If you’ve ever tried to learn another language, then you likely realized – quickly – that knowing vocabulary and verb tenses is only part of becoming truly bilingual. Every language has idioms and sayings that are quirky and unique (some even vary by region!) that you have to figure out before people will make total sense when they talk.
Because some of the literal translations of those idioms? Hilarious, even if they do make a weird sort of sense!
Facebook group Monolinguals are the worst encouraged its members to share the funniest literal translations they know, and…y’all. Prepare to be amused.
20. There are wide range of how people think about ladybugs.
19. Think of it as hair – that’s one way to save your diet.
18. This mental image is just more than I can really compute.
17. Annnnd now I want one more than ever.
16. I don’t really get why, but it is funny.
15. That is not at all appetizing.
14. I know name calling is wrong but they kind of deserve it.
13. An oddly accurate description.
12. Without a thumb, but okay.
11. It is quite delicious.
10. Because he’s lying in wait I get it.
9. That’s what it tastes like!
8. The dove part is totally throwing me.
7. They call them like they see them.
6. Yes, yes that’s what it does so that’s what it is.
5. You will find that Germans are very practical.
4. I guess it depends on which side of this you’re on…
3. I’m going to need someone to explain this to me.
2. Let the uprising begin.
1. You know what they used to do to witches, right?
These renew my interest in learning another language.
Do you speak more than one? Do you have a favorite idiom that’s not totally translatable? Please share it in the comments!