Whoopsy daisy…one minute you think you got your child a cool Christmas gift, and the next, the whole neighborhood is about to go up in flames.
That’s exactly what happened: a 12-year-old boy in Texas got a magnifying glass for Christmas – and then accidentally set his family’s lawn on fire. I can tell you, as a former 12-year-old boy, that about 99.99% of kids that age are going to use magnifying glasses to start some kind of fire (hopefully of the small variety that won’t spiral out of control.
A 12-year-old in Texas got a magnifying glass for Christmas. His parents thought it would be used for reading, but then he accidentally set his family's lawn on fire. https://t.co/30lvLhBWcs pic.twitter.com/kcnv64tQj5
— CNN (@CNN) December 31, 2019
The boy’s mother explained on Facebook,
“Christmas Day was memorable to say the least!🔥My twelve year old son Cayden, who is an avid reader, an honor student, and interested in science, asked for a magnifying glass for Christmas. (It’s like a basketball player asking for basketball shoes.) We thought it was for reading, but instead he tried to see if he could light a fire with it! We discovered that he and his two brothers went out on the driveway to see if they could burn a couple holes in some newspaper.
Everything was under control until the boys came running into the house telling us that a corner of the lawn was on fire and the Christmas lights were melting! Justin and I rushed outside to see the entire front lawn turning black! We grabbed buckets, turned on the hose and sprinklers, and I grabbed blankets to smother and trap it – before it could spread any more into the neighbors yard! What a sight to see – a bunch of people running around crazy trying to put a front lawn fire out while wearing matching Christmas jammies!
I want to reiterate this was an accident. It could have been worse but it wasn’t. So instead of a tragedy it will now be a Christmas to remember! 2019- The Christmas the lawn lit on fire. 🎄🔥🎄
Oh and never buy a magnifying glass for your son!”
Christmas Day was memorable to say the least!🔥My twelve year old son Cayden, who is an avid reader, an honor student,…
People on social media thought the whole incident was pretty darn hilarious.
I’m sorry but I gotta laugh! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
— Sandra Tabbytosavit 🆘 🥁 (@STabbytosavit) December 31, 2019
Accidentally? Heck when I was a kid we did this crap intentionally.
— Glenn (@g_geboy) December 31, 2019
of course he did, have you ever met a 12 year old boy
— 💔missmygirl (@McMickey98) December 31, 2019
Accidentally on purpose. Kind of surprised I never torched my parents deck when I was growing up.
— Chuck Wagon (@ChuckWagon645) December 31, 2019
Well, we’re glad no one was hurt and that they were able to get the blaze started by Cayden under control.
Note to self: don’t buy any young kids a magnifying glass anytime soon…