Riddles are a great way to keep your mind fresh, make sure you’ve still got it, or just semi-productively pass the time. Whatever your reason for wanting to solve a few, we think these 5 tricky ones are going to be just what the brain doctor ordered!
5. Don’t soil the produce!
4. Short on cash.
3. Choosing a barbershop.
2. An uplifting riddle.
1. Pick your poison.
Continue reading to check your answers!
5. A poor farmer went to the market to sell some peas and lentils. However, as he had only one sack and didn’t want to mix peas and lentils, he poured in the peas first, tied the sack in the middle, and then filled the top portion of the sack with the lentils.
At the market a rich innkeeper happened by with his own sack. He wanted to buy the peas, but he did not want the lentils.
Pouring the seed anywhere else but the sacks is considered soiling. Trading sacks is not allowed. The farmer can’t cut a hole in his sack.
How would you transfer the peas to the innkeeper’s sack, which he wants to keep, without soiling the produce?
4. A man phoned his daughter to ask her to buy a few things he needed for a trip. He told her she would find enough dollar bills for the purchases in an envelope on his desk. She found the envelope with 98 written on it.
In a store she bought $90 worth of things, but when it was time to pay she not only didn’t have $8 left over but she was short. By how much was she short of cash, and why?
3. There is a small town on the East Coast that has 2 barbershops each with a single barber, and on opposite sides of town. The barbershop in the good part of town is immaculate. The floors and windows are washed and the air is fresh. The barber is very friendly, always smiling, he has shined shoes, a nice head of hair, and a clean dress shirt. The barbershop in the bad part of town is a mess. The entire barbershop is covered with a layer of dirt, and the air smells of trash. The barber always has a frown on his face. His skin is oily, his hair is ragged, and there are always stains visible on his shirt.
A man comes into town and hears of both barbershops and the man decides to go to the dirty barbershop in the bad part of town. Why does he do this?
2. A man lives on the tenth floor of a building. Every day he takes the elevator to go down to the ground floor to go to work. When he returns he takes the same elevator to the seventh floor and walks up the stairs to reach his apartment on the tenth floor. If there is someone else in the elevator with him or if it was raining that day, he goes back to the tenth floor directly.
Note that there is nothing wrong with the elevator or the design of the building. It’s a perfectly normal elevator in a perfectly normal building.
He hates walking up the stairs, so why does he do it?
1. I am a poison strong enough to kill the sturdiest of men but I have the power to make even the vilest of dishes irresistible. What am I?
Did you solve them all? Good for you!
Thanks for playing along today; come back again to solve more riddles like these!