I’ll admit it: Tommy Boy is one of my all-time favorite movies. It’s silly and delightful, and Chris Farley gives a sweet, earnest, and hilarious performance. Sadly, we lost this comic talent far too soon. Here are 14 fascinating facts about the amazing Chris Farley:
1. Chris Farley posed as Newt Gingrich—in front of Newt Gingrich
Farley impersonated Gingrich in front of the speaker during a 1995 meeting of the House Republican Conference.
2. John Belushi was his idol
After Farley saw Animal House, John Belushi became his personal hero, influencing his over-the-top comedic style.
3. He was an athlete
Farley played both football and rugby during high school.
4. He was fired from Saturday Night Live
Farley and Adam Sandler were fired from SNL in 1995, and Sandler still isn’t quite sure why.
5. Wayne’s World was Farley’s first movie
Farley had a cameo role as a security guard at the Alice Cooper concert.
6. He was the first Shrek
He was close to finishing recording the role when he passed, and producers turned to Mike Myers to fill his shoes.
7. He wanted to switch to dramatic roles
Chris Farley reportedly wanted to star in a biopic about Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle.
8. He was the first choice for The Cable Guy
Farley was unable to take the role due to scheduling conflicts, and the role went to Jim Carrey.
9. He was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
In 2005, he was awarded a star outside the Improv Olympic West, where he used to perform.
10. The song “Purple Stain” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers includes a tribute to Farley.
The song includes the lyrics “Farley is an angel and I can prove this.”
Gone, but never forgotten!