As parents, we’re always looking for the best and most effective ways to discipline our kids. I think that some people either don’t realize or forget, though, that the root of the word is “disciple.”
That means the goal is to get our kids to follow our lead, not to punish the with arbitrary consequences.
This mom might be a bit out of line with her chosen punishment style, according to the parents of the internet.
She said that she burns her child’s Pokemon cards when he doesn’t eat properly, since he’s underweight and needs to rectify the problems.
A number of people replied with their concerns, and here are 12 of the replies that I really hope this woman read and internalized going forward.
12. Some replies were angrier than others.
But everyone had the kid’s best interests at heart.
11. There has to be a way to address the issue without destroying his trust.
You’re going to need that later.
10. The sarcasm is strong with this one.
But I don’t think it’s unwarranted.
9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Sometimes we don’t have all the answers.
8. The sad truth of the matter.
Remember to look beyond today.
7. There could be something serious going on.
You need to work it out together.
6. If you’re not worried about him, worry about yourself.
The tables will be turned eventually.
5. The punishment should fit the crime.
Otherwise, he’s just going to dig in his heels.
4. Can you even imagine how that feels?
Sit with it for a minute, because it’s not good.
3. Focus on the problem at hand.
It needs to be solved, for the good of everyone involved.
2. Seriously, it’s not going to fix the issue.
My heart just breaks for this little boy.
1. There is likely a reason.
You need to find out what it is in order to fix it.
I’m not big on mom shaming or internet pile-ons, but sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees, and I hope this mom and her kid can work together to find a better way.
What would you say to this woman if she was your friend? Tell us in the comments!