By now you have almost certainly come across a Humans of New York post if you exist at all on social media. The post always features a portrait and a brief interview collected on the streets of New York City. Photographer Brandon Stanton started the blog in 2010, and it now has over 16 million followers on Facebook alone. The collected interviews have even been published and become a best-selling book.
Humans of New York inevitably inspires many parodies. None are better and more moving, perhaps, than the Facebook page Pokémon of New York! It is exactly what it sounds like: interviews and portraits of your everyday, ordinary Pokémon, collected on the streets of New York. It really is fantastic, especially if you are a fan of both Humans of New York and Pokémon. While there are loads of glorious posts over on the Pokémon of New York Facebook page, we picked a couple great ones to feature below. Enjoy!
“I’m an app developer. We just reached our crowd-funding goal, so we’ve set up a workspace in my apartment. It’s the dream, man! We work for ourselves, but in the end, the users will be our real bosses. If it all goes according to schedule, in one year we’ll be turning out a truly disruptive product that will change the world: the first dating app exclusively for Pokémon.”
“Has it got a name?”
“Yea, it’s called Grimr.”
Grimer, 28, Astoria
“On the train I saw someone I used to date. Vileplume, real pretty, super cool. But I dunno, I lost interest. Nothing wrong with that. I didn’t text her for a while, thought she’d get the hint. That was a few months ago.
So, yea, I run into her on the train just now and she’s mad! She’s all, ‘You ghosted me!’
It’s like dude, what did you expect?”
Gastly, 22, FiDi
“You have to keep a positive outlook. Like today. I was already rejected from one audition, and now I’ve been waiting so long for this train that I’m sure to miss my afternoon audition. But that’s part of trying to be an actress, you know? You have to face a hundred rejections for every opportunity. And if I miss the audition, it’s just fate’s way of telling me I wasn’t meant for that part. Just bumps on the road to stardom!”
Jigglypuff, 22, Manhattan
“This city is soft. Restrictions on freedoms left and right. I remember when you could smoke in bars… those were the days. Now I light up in a restaurant and there’s some lady saying, ‘ooh don’t do that, my baby is right here.’ Hey lady? Your baby can complain when it pays taxes.”
Koffing, 59, Manhattan
“My cousin runs with a gang. Maybe even a cult. All white outfits, crazy dyed hair, rhyming mantras and slogans. Kidnapping, theft, assault, these guys are bad news. Every once in a while I sit down with him to chat about it, to try and change his mind. Then before I know it he’s out the door, blasting off again…”
Meowth, 33, Bushwick
“This kind of party isn’t really my scene. I don’t know anyone here except my friend that I came with. I was honestly hoping for a chill night in. Some Netflix, maybe make some popcorn. But my friend’s still really upset about her breakup, called me up, and told me she needed to go out tonight, you know, be with other people. I’m not having a great time, but sometimes you gotta put the people you care about first. It’s what being a good friend is all about.”
Bulbasaur, 22, Brooklyn
We hoped you enjoyed this as much as we did! Head over to the official Facebook page for more!
Which Pokémon of New York was your favorite?
Like this story? Check out some of our other Pokémon GO articles!
- The 6 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Pokémon GO
- Quiet Town of 35 in Belgium Enacts a Pokémon GO Curfew After Thousands of Players Show Up to Catch the Rare Spawns!
- Why You Should Get Excited About the Next Pokémon GO Update
- Pokémon NO – The 4 Worst Things to Happen to Pokémon GO Players
- The Elusive Ditto: Everything We Know About The Pokémon Everybody Wants To Catch
- Pokémon GO Battle Guide: The Best Moves For Each Species
- Make Your Favorite Pokémon Your Best Friend – A Guide to Pokémon GO’s New Buddy System!
- Pokémon GO Buddy System Update – Walking Distances and How Buddies Will Display
- Here’s How to Use Pokémon Go’s New Appraise Feature and What a Perfect Appraisal Looks Like
- Find Out The Perfect IVs For 2km, 5km, & 10km Egg Hatches
- One Pokémon GO Player Gets An Entire Country Banned From The Game
- Watch Video of Pokémon GO’s New Tracker Tool Being Tested by Users Right Now
- Get All the Details on the Recent Pokémon GO Update!
- Mall Transforms Center Court into Amazing Pokémon Gym
- The Hardest Pokémon to Catch in Pokémon GO
- Pokémon GO Candy Predictions for Gen 2 Evolutions
- Pokémon GO Update Offers New Way To Find Pokémon Plus 6 Important Fixes & Features
- These 5 Pokémon GO Maps Could Help You Find the Rarest of Pokémon
- Catching Rares in Pokémon GO Just Got a LOT Harder, but There May Be a New Way to Catch ‘Em All
- These 10 Pokémon are the Most Powerful in Pokémon GO Right Now
- 24 Relationships Already Ruined By Pokémon GO
- Pokémon GO Inspired 6yo with Autism to Break from Routine and Chat with Strangers
- What Happens When You Combine Pokémon GO and Tinder?
- What’s the Most Wanted Pokémon in Your State?
- The Westboro Baptist Church Is a Pokémon GO Gym Controlled by a Clefairy Named ‘LoveIsLove’
- Guy Tweets What Happens After Pokémon GO Players Discover His House Is an In-Game Gym
- Pokémon GO Players Found A Gym In the Ocean And Then…
- Quiz: How Many of These 20 Original Pokémon Can You Name?
- A Guy Caught A Pokémon While He Was Fighting ISIS
- A Guy Played Pokémon GO at 3AM and Got More Than He Bargained For