Most of the time, you know what you’re getting into – pretty much – when you decide to see a film. Between the internet, television, (digital) newspapers, and your friends on social media, it’s hard to really be surprised.
These 14 movies, though, took turns so traumatizing that some of us who saw them as children still are not ever going to be okay.
14. It was the flying monkeys for me.
Every story about Oz is supremely messed up.
13. Any movie that has a character named “the child catcher” is not for kids.
It was definitely written by someone who doesn’t have any, too.
12. This movie is made out of every nightmare you’ve ever had.
Whoever made it sure likes dark jokes.
11. It’s a movie about puppies, right?
And a lady who SKINS PUPPIES MY GOD.
10. No explanation needed.
If you’ve seen it, you know. Because you can’t forget it, either.
9. Then I guess it was time to traumatize HIS kids.
And the cycle continues.
8. I saw this in college and it freaked me out.
Never go into the woods at night.
7. There is no appropriate age to view this one.
Yes, it definitely holds up.
6. This is the saddest Disney movie for me.
I refuse to watch it with my kids.
5. If you don’t want your kids to ever ask for a beach trip…
This is one way to cure the urge.
4. Why are creepy kids so scary?
Maybe because they could live under your roof.
3. To be fair, having a baby is sort of like that.
But it’s cuter in the end.
2. There’s no way this isn’t a horror movie.
1. No one wants to think about traumatically losing a parent.
I’m 41 and I still don’t want to think about it.
Some of these definitely got to me as a younger person!
What movie scarred you as a child? If it’s not on this list, tell us about it in the comments!