There are so many experiences in this world that are hard to imagine or understand unless you’ve lived them yourself. We never know what goes on behind the closed doors of other people’s houses, and I would imagine that goes at least double for the things that go on behind the scenes of other people’s bodies.
This Instagram account is going the extra mile to open up about what it’s like to live with an illness no one can see, though, and these 13 messages are super eye-opening.
13. Give yourself some grace.
And hope your friends, family, and employers do, too.
12. And most of us thrive on schedules.
I don’t know what I would do without mine.
11. They’re not really having fun.
Just getting through the day can feel like a job.
10. We all do.
Why does it seem so hard to find?
9. Making plans can be hard.
Breaking them can be hard in other ways.
8. They’re a lot tougher than you think.
Because sadly, practice makes perfect.
7. They’re not the people they were before this started.
But they’re still worth loving.
6. Something to remember.
Check in on your friends, y’all.
5. Yes, they’ve heard of that.
They’ve probably tried it. Seriously.
4. It can be overwhelming if you only have a few.
Imagine if you had a bunch of different doctors and treatment plans going at once.
3. It can be hard to do on the best of days.
But it takes a huge effort if you’re feeling exhausted.
2. Once you start to understand…
You’ll never take your health for granted again.
1. It’s the reality of your life.
Talking about it doesn’t mean you’re asking for attention.
I love getting a better understanding of things that are foreign to me, and people are so brave to share.
If you or someone you love is living with a chronic illness, tell us what your experience is like in the comments!