One of the hardest things about dealing with your mental health struggles is just taking that first step.
It can be frightening – intimidating to get out there and even admit to others, or yourself, that you need help, much less go out and get it.
And that’s not to mention the potential financial cost.
Which is why it’s a very big deal when people finally do it. And why these anonymous contributors decided to talk about it.
13. “I’m scared to get better”
Sometimes we’re more comfortable with the devil we know than the one we don’t.
12. “I’m finally feeling hope”
It’s a wonderful feeling to welcome back.
11. “I think I can actually recover”
It IS possible. More than you even think.
10. “I’ve never felt so d**n good”
Well that just makes us smile from ear to ear!
9. “I never thought of myself as a strong person”
We’re stronger than we believe we are.
8. “We can all get through this”
We are, in a sense, in it together.
7. “He deserves a happy marriage”
I’m sure you’ll reap just as many benefits.
6. “I’m finally getting help”
Any time is better than never.
5. “It’s so empowering”
4. “You have no idea how happy that made me”
Kind of messed up that our ability to get help is linked to employment but still – hooray!
3. “I’m finally going to get the help I need”
And we salute you for that.
2. “I’m checking into a place”
It’ll be hard, but it should be worth it.
1. “I feel so relieved”
Just a little knowledge can help you feel far less lost.
Remember, if you need help, don’t be afraid to seek it.
Have you had an experience like this?
Share it with us in the comments.