When we know better, we do better. And to know better, we have to listen when marginalized communities tell us that something is offensive, hurtful, dismissive, or all of the above.
So read through this list of 14 phrases that can be taken as ableist, then do your best to remove them from your vocabulary – it won’t hurt you to quit using them, but it might hurt another person’s feelings if you choose not to.
Easy decision, no?
14. Why on earth would anyone think this is okay?
12. That last one, though.
11. Maybe they just think the other person is awesome?
10. I want to shout this from the rooftops.
9. None of these are at all helpful.
8. Maybe just skip the labels.
7. They’re not there so you can have a moment.
6. This makes me sick to my stomach.
5. Stop thinking fair and equal are the same thing.
4. Strictly speaking, vegetables aren’t that helpful of a suggestion any time.
3. I promise it’s not Jesus.
2. Chances are they realize that fact already.
1. It’s not “nice.” And while we’re at it, neither is saying “I don’t see color.”
Now that you know better, do better!