The final season of Game of Thrones is upon us and fans are going crazy posting memes and eating GOT themed food (like these kickass Oreos). But even if you’re the show’s biggest super fan, here are some things about the it that you might not know.
15. Daenerys Stormborn (otherwise known as Khaleesi) truly is the mother of dragons. Or maybe just babies in general…over 450 babies now have the name Khaleesi.
14. Peter Dinklage AKA Tyrion Lannister is actually a vegetarian, which means that none of the meat he’s eaten on the show was real.
13. Jerome Flynn, who plays Bronn in the show, took part in a 90s doo-wop duo that had three number one singles. In the UK, of course.
12. Age is totally in the eye of the beholder: the actor who portrayed Jojen Reed was 23 years old when he filmed GOT. He looked so young!
11. Yara Greyjoy wasn’t Yara in the books. Her name was Asha.
10. The actor who played Hodor looks way different in real life, sans the beard. And I’m sure he has a bigger vocabulary.
9. It comes as no surprise that Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Sean Bean (Ned Stark) were R.R. Martins top picks for their roles.
8. If Jack Gleeson looks a bit familiar to you, he should. “Joffrey” started out as the little boy in Batman Begins!
7. Most of the actors haven’t read the books for fear they would learn too much about their own character’s fate.
6. The “Hound” also looks way different sans beard! I hear he’s actually a nice guy, too.
5. Dire wolves are real! Well kind of. The show used Northern Inuit dogs to portray the fearsome beasts.
4. Grand Master Pycelle is played by Julian Glover, who was in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
3. David Benioff and D. B. Weiss (co-creators and showrunners of GOT) penned an episode for It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia called “Flowers For Charlie.” Who knew they could be funny?
2. The original pilot episode (unaired) looked much different than the show we know today. Check this out:
1. And Olenna Tyrell was a hottie in her younger days!
That’s a wrap.