When I was growing up, it was a glorious time. My parents would just say “be home when it gets dark,” and that was it. We didn’t really have any other rules. We ran wild through the neighborhood, through the woods, through the creeks, and we’d ride our bikes down an incredibly dangerous two-lane highway to the nearest strip mall. Good times!
I have a feeling most parents don’t let that kind of stuff happen these days. They’re really overprotective…maybe to a fault.
Are those carefree days gone forever? Perhaps…so let’s take a trip down memory lane and see some photos from yesteryear that capture the days when parents let kids be kids.
2. “Me Back In 1991 Just Your Typical Aussie Kid Drinking Xxxxlight Beer And Holding A Baby Crocodile”
3. “My Mother And Grandmother Demonstrating Safety Standards In The 1960s”
4. “California Marijuana Initiative Rally 1972. That’s Me In The Box And My Parents In The Picture”
5. “My Dad And His Veterinarian Mother, With Their Pet Lion Which They Raised For Two Years, 1959”
6. “A Couple Ice Skating With Their Baby, 1937”
7. “Infant Me, My Mother & Father At A Bar Because That’s How Parents Rolled In The Early ’80s”
8. “Car Seat Safety In 1958”
9. “The Pinnacle Of Parenting: 1930s Swimming Lesson”
10. “My Hilarious Father (With The Magazine) And My Grandfather, Grandmother, And Uncle At His Bar Mitzvah In 1972”
11. “A Photo Of Me Dressed Up As My Dad, With My Dad (1982)”
12. “My Dad Showing Off His Parenting Skills 1985”
13. “My Mom In The Hospital After Giving Birth To My Sister. Canada 1978. Smokes And Roasted Chicken”
14. “My Mom Showing Off Her Parenting Skills 1978”
15. “Just A Photo Of Yours Truly (At 11 Years) Petting A Full Grown Tiger. My Mom Calls It Her ‘Bad Parenting Moment'”
Ahhhh, simpler times.