Anyone who has ever owned a pet knows that it can be tricky to get a good weight for them. They’re wiggly, they’re uncooperative, and that’s just for relatively small animals, right?
Now think about being a zoo vet and having to weigh things like hippos and giraffes…it would get pretty complicated, right?
Luckily, people have learned plenty of tricks over the years – here are 20 clever ones you probably never imagined.
20. Just weigh the whole cage.
I mean, you could totally catch him if he got out, though.
19. If you don’t take have to take the koala out of the tree, don’t.
I guess that’s probably a good rule of thumb.
18. Little baby is big mad!
You put him in a bowl!
17. Are you weighing the human or the giraffe?
That takes one confident zookeeper.
16. That is a very large rodent.
But also somehow cute?
15. I know this probably is supposed to keep them calm.
Maybe owls always look panicked.
14. Look at his little face!
Don’t take his blankie!
13. Just like weighing a human baby.
He looks just about as thrilled about it, too.
12. A frog in a spoon.
11. I cannot get enough of these owls.
Their faces are priceless.
10. Convince him it’s a trick!
They love tricks, because they’re bored out of their minds.
9. A penguin in a bucket.
A penguin is cute anywhere.
8. Who knew they started out so small!
Just keep him in the water!
7. I cannot with this.
The cuteness is way too much.
6. It fits, he sits.
For a few seconds, anyway.
5. He looks so happy!
He could teach my kids a thing or two.
4. That lion cub doesn’t look like it wants to sit.
There’s a cat for you.
3. Bless his heart.
Baby just wants to stay with his mama.
2. Can we have a whole page of these?
Or more than one?
1. I guess anything with long legs gets held.
It’s probably the safest route.
Here’s how you weigh a baby zebra.
— Erin (@erinruberry) September 27, 2018
I love the idea of working at a zoo, but I don’t think I could hack it.
Which one of these surprises you the most? Tell us in the comments!