I grew up watching movies that were filmed in New York City in the 1970s and 1980s and my, how things have changed in the Big Apple. I remember the grit, grime, and danger of Taxi Driver and The Warriors, but those days are long gone, for better or for worse.
Jamel Shabazz has been documenting the people and culture of New York since the 1980s, and these 20 photos specifically highlight NYC’s amazing subway system and the people that have been riding it. You’ll enjoy these vintage snapshots.
1. All Ears, NYC 1980
2. The Trio, NYC 1980
3. Rush Hour, NYC 1988
4. Fly Girl, NYC 2002
5. Soros For Life, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NYC 1981
6. A Frozen Moment, Bushwick, Brooklyn, NYC
7. Twin 1 & Twin 2, Brooklyn, NYC 1980
8. A Time Before Starbucks, Brooklyn, NYC, Early 1980’s
9. Tougher Than Leather, Brooklyn, NYC 1980
10. Back To The World, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NYC 1982
11. Untitled, Spanish Harlem, NYC 1980
12. The Love Connection, NYC 1982
13. The Violists, NYC 1997
14. Daddy‘S Little Girls, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NYC 1980
15. The Last Look, NYC 1980
16. Church Ladies, Harlem,NYC 1997
17. The Dream Girls, Brooklyn Bound J Train, NYC 2000
18. The Righteous Brothers, NYC 1981
19. The Outside View, Brooklyn, NYC 1999
20. Tougher Than Leather, Brooklyn, NYC 1980
What a great time capsule.