When Dolly Parton isn’t accepting lifetime achievement awards for crushing it in country music and pop culture for longer than I’ve been alive:
Or raising millions of dollars for victims of the recent wildfires in Tennessee:
She’s giving out free books every month to kids all over the US:
She’s had at least three “comebacks” since starting the program over 20 years ago.
Check out this video for more on the Imagination Library and why Dolly decided to start the organization that currently provides over a million books a month in 1,600 locations across the US, UK, and Canada:
Check out these other great articles from dyk:
- Anne Frank Made Her Last Diary Entry on August 1st, 1944. This Is What it Said…
- The First Woman to Run for President Was Called ‘Mrs. Satan’… This Is Why
- The Real Story of Elizabeth Báthory: History’s Most Prolific Female Serial Killer
- Here’s How Seemingly Random Events Can Lead to One of the Most Famous Photos in American History
- The BBC Halloween Hoax That Traumatized a Nation…and Killed Someone?
- These 16 Vintage Medical Photos Are Both Creepy and Fascinating
- In 1957, Five Guys Stood Underneath a Nuclear Blast… on Purpose.
- The Most Boring Day in History Has Been Identified. By a Computer.
- The Horribly Racist History of the Cakewalk