Most parents swear that they don’t play favorites.
I’m sure most of the time they think that’s true.
But most siblings would argue that there is, in fact, a favorite, and for a variety of reasons.
Those reasons, however, can reveal a complex set of family dynamics.
Here’s what 12 siblings have to say about not being the favorite.
1. Even young children have a sense of fairness
And they can be more affected than you know.
2. It sews competition and dislike between sisters
That can be a hard thing to get over.
3. But of course, sometimes you make your own bed
They seem at peace with it, at least.
4. It’s not a hard thing to figure out
Even if you try not to be super obvious about it.
5. Other times, well… they don’t try to hide it
I mean, just wow.
6. It can be a really hard thing to feel less than
Dealing with that all your life starts to take a toll.
Not that picking favorites is ever deserved, but a lot of less-liked siblings think the favorite is undeserving of the attention.
7. Why are awful people so good at hiding their true colors?
Isn’t there a saying, “Truth will out?” When does that happen?
8. It can be hard to watch
Not that speaking up would do any good.
9. And some of these parents are downright horrible
I can’t imagine saying this to anyone’s face, let alone my child.
10. It really puts you in a tough situation
11. It can be painful and discouraging
I really don’t envy them.
12. Eventually you just sort of accept it
It’s not fun, but it is what it is.
Man, some of these are really harsh! I would say my parents did a better job of hiding who their favorite is, and I hope my siblings feel the same way.
What about you? Were you the favorite? Tell us in the comments.