It can be weird to realize that we’re living in someone else’s future, can’t it?
For someone who lived a hundred or even forty or fifty years ago, it would have been impossibly to imagine what our reality would look like – but that didn’t stop people from trying.
These 17 images are what people in the past thought our world would look like, so let’s take a scroll and see if they’ve gotten any of it right!
17. I wonder whether or not anyone believed it would happen.
Crazy how human mind’s work, right?
16. Are those…video phones?
I’m not sure about the flight suits, but the phones are blowing my mind.
15. Smartwatches are for everyone.
I’m sure Bond is disappointed.
14. Food delivery.
It’s something we’ve always dreamed of, I guess. And we’re living it.
13. Of course we will take cats into space.
How could we live without them?
12. We’ve still got a ways to go.
But maybe it’s always been inevitable.
11. A prototype for the world of Dredd.
Which wasn’t a bad remake, if you’re wondering.
10. Who doesn’t want to walk on water?
What sort of shoes will we be wearing, though?
9. It’s like something out of a science fiction movie.
Which is probably the point.
8. They were just going to be…wider?
To be fair, humans do often choose style over substance.
7. I would buy this in a heartbeat.
Honestly it would sell out.
6. This is actually amazing.
At least as good as the MapQuest pages I used in college.
5. I wonder what a teacher would make of this.
Anyone want to weigh in?
4. We’ve gone the wrong way.
Air travel has gotten more uncomfortable and tight, instead.
3. Were we reverting to tribal wear?
I approve of the no pants.
2. I would get behind this reality.
1. They weren’t entirely wrong.
I definitely think we need roomier cars, though.
To be honest, I wish that a few of these things had come to pass.
How about you? Tell us in the comments what you hope to see before the end of your lifetime?