Are you just throwing your highest CP Pokémon into gyms?
If so, you might be making a mistake.
CP only gives you a snapshot of your pocket monster.
True, it’s the easiest and quickest way to size them up at a glance.
For instance, the top 7 Pokémon that usually show up in gyms are also the 7 Pokémon with the top CP:
But a Pokémon with high attack and low defense like Exeggutor might have a high CP that doesn’t necessarily help you hold a gym down. It all depends on how you want to hold that gym down.
It stands to reason that, if you’re trying to hold a gym, you’re probably looking for some solid defense.
But even then, there are plenty of options when it comes to which Pokémon you want to choose.
Are you looking to hold a gym down as long as possible?
Then you probably just want to leave in one these 20:
Notice that, when it comes to keeping a gym for the longest amount of time, all 20 of those Pokémon outrank the infamous egg-tree.
But, if you’re looking to lay some damage down along the way, you probably want a good overall list, like this one:
Hey! The egg-tree is back!
The next move, if you want to get real involved, is to factor in move-sets.
Now, you could go to that spreadsheet I mentioned earlier, but Trainer Tips has actually already done a pretty exhaustive job of ranking those out, using Dewgong as a floor.
And it turns out that move-sets really matter.
For instance, if you’re trying to decide which of your Lapras is going to fare best, you definitely want to compare move-sets, as its lowest-ranked set is actually 30% less effective than its top:
You can see a more thorough explanation of everything I went through above – plus the move-set rankings for all of the top 20 – in this video from Trainer Tips:
Now get out there and hold down some territory!
Like this story? Check out some of our other Pokémon GO articles!
- The Original Pokémon Movie Returns to Cinemark Theaters
- Niantic Announces a New Feature to Help Catch Rare Pokémon!
- Pokémon GO Helps UK Animal Shelter Raise $13K in One Night
- South Korea’s Pokémon GO-nuts: Gotta Munch ‘Em All
- Pokémon GO Nests Have Been Completely Randomized
- Pokéanatomy – An Artistic Vision of the Science Behind a Pokémon’s Inner Workings!
- UK Artist Cat Ward Is Evolving Pokémon into Mandalas
- Pokémon of New York: A Hilarious Parody of Humans of New York
- The 6 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Pokémon GO
- Why You Should Get Excited About the Next Pokémon GO Update
- Pokémon NO – The 4 Worst Things to Happen to Pokémon GO Players
- The Elusive Ditto: Everything We Know About The Pokémon Everybody Wants To Catch
- Pokémon GO Battle Guide: The Best Moves For Each Species
- Find Out The Perfect IVs For 2km, 5km, & 10km Egg Hatches
- The Hardest Pokémon to Catch in Pokémon GO
- Pokémon GO Candy Predictions for Gen 2 Evolutions
- These 10 Pokémon are the Most Powerful in Pokémon GO Right Now
- 24 Relationships Already Ruined By Pokémon GO
- Quiz: How Many of These 20 Original Pokémon Can You Name?
- A Guy Caught A Pokémon While He Was Fighting ISIS
- A Guy Played Pokémon GO at 3AM and Got More Than He Bargained For