Nintendo only owns 32% of the Pokémon company.
Back in July, that “revelation” was enough to send their stock “crashing back to earth,” after it soared in the week following the launch of Niantic’s AR phenomenon.
See that big jump, followed by an almost immediate 50% dip?
That’s a bunch of people throwing their money away.
Nintendo owns the copyright to Pokémon and 32% of The Pokémon Company, to which Niantic pays a licensing fee for the right to use Pokémon.
That may not be as much as some had thought, but it sure ain’t nothing.
Also worth mentioning: Nintendo does own every Pokémon video game except for Pokémon GO.
And the franchise, which was birthed via the Game Boy in 1996, has proved its enduring popularity – it just turned 20 this year:
So, when Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima gave his most recent financial results briefing (for the 3rd quarter of 2016), he had a ton of good news.
The Nintendo DS line of Pokémon games has seen a definite boost from the arrival of Pokémon GO:
Those are games that had been sitting around since February (at the latest), all of a sudden come back to life.
Nintendo also increased sales of its (more expensive) hardware:
And none of that includes the sales figures from Sun and Moon. Just launched last weekend, the games have outperformed in both downloads of the demo (3.5 million in the first week) and pre-orders:
Nor do those numbers include the new Limited DS consoles Nintendo released to go along with Sun/Moon.
The company is also releasing their very first mobile game next month:
You know, Mario, that other franchise they own that’s also the only video game franchise bigger than Pokémon.
There is that.
In fact, over 20 million people have requested to be notified as soon as Super Mario Run launches next month.
Additionally, the NES Classic Editions is so hard to score that I’m guessing it must be outperforming as well (this happened after the 3rd quarter presentation, so there are no official stats yet):
I wonder if all of those people who sold their Nintendo stock back in July are regretting it now.
More PokéArticles: Gotta read ’em all!
- Code Points To Ditto, Shiny Pokémon & Possible Thanksgiving Event In New Update!
- Virtually Hatch 9 10KM Eggs With A Very Patient Redditor
- 3 Reasons Why Pokémon GO Spawn Rates & Times Increased After Halloween Event
- Want a PokéStop Near You? Players Have Finally Discovered a Way to do It.
- Ditto & Generation 2 Pokémon Have Been Found In Pokémon GO Code!
- What Would Your Favorite Pokémon Look Like if it Were Human?
- Pokémon GO Has Made the World a Healthier Place
- The Original Pokémon Movie Returns to Cinemark Theaters
- Niantic Announces a New Feature to Help Catch Rare Pokémon!
- Pokémon GO Helps UK Animal Shelter Raise $13K in One Night
- South Korea’s Pokémon GO-nuts: Gotta Munch ‘Em All
- Pokéanatomy – An Artistic Vision of the Science Behind a Pokémon’s Inner Workings!
- UK Artist Cat Ward Is Evolving Pokémon into Mandalas
- Pokémon of New York: A Hilarious Parody of Humans of New York
- The 6 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Pokémon GO
- The Elusive Ditto: Everything We Know About The Pokémon Everybody Wants To Catch
- Pokémon GO Battle Guide: The Best Moves For Each Species
- Find Out The Perfect IVs For 2km, 5km, & 10km Egg Hatches
- The Hardest Pokémon to Catch in Pokémon GO
- Pokémon GO Candy Predictions for Gen 2 Evolutions
- These 10 Pokémon are the Most Powerful in Pokémon GO Right Now
- Quiz: How Many of These 20 Original Pokémon Can You Name?
- A Guy Caught A Pokémon While He Was Fighting ISIS
- A Guy Played Pokémon GO at 3AM and Got More Than He Bargained For