By now you have likely stumbled upon the lovable purple blob, Ditto! It was a welcome suprise for many players catching their 10,000th Pidgey or Ratatta to see it transform into Ditto, a Pokémon that has been absent from the game since the beginning.
Now that you’ve got that cute purple monster in your inventory, you may be thinking about taking that Ditto to the nearest gym and getting that pump on. But how does transform work? Will Ditto even be good? All valid questions, and we’ve got the answer.
The first thing you need to know is how Ditto transforms. Ditto automatically transforms to the first Pokémon it encounters. It will stay transformed into this Pokémon until the end of the gym battle. Choose wisely when you throw that Ditto into battle! To see how fast Ditto transforms, watch this video!
The next thing you need to know is exactly what your little purple friend copies. Transform allows Ditto to copy the moves, basic values, and type of the Pokémon it transforms into. In addition, it copies the CP.
This sounds amazing right? You little 300CP Ditto can transform into those 3000CP Dragonites that sit at the top of every gym? Well, not exactly. Transform does have a huge weakness. When Ditto transforms, it does not copy hit points, stamina, or IV’s. While not copying IV’s may not be a huge deal, the fact that it doesn’t copy hit points is a huge problem. There is no way your Ditto which transformed into a Snorlax will ever be able to outlast the massive HP of the original Snorlax.
It turns out, this huge flaw in transform makes Ditto a pretty bad choice for gyms. The fact that you can control what it transforms into is fun. You could throw him out against a water Pokémon if you need water for a later fight, then retract Ditto and save him for later.
Don’t worry Ditto, we still love you! Have you tried Ditto in any gyms yet? What did you have him transform into?
Want to find out more about Pokémon GO? Read the articles below!
- VIDEO: Niantic Opens up Pokémon GO Nearby Tracker Beta Testing
- VIDEO: Niantic Rebalances Pokémon CP in Massive Pokémon GO Update
- Pokémon GO Celebration Announced! Thanksgiving Event In Store?
- VIDEO: YouTube Trainers Share What It’s Like at the Lapras Event
- Code Points To Ditto, Shiny Pokémon & Possible Thanksgiving Event In New Update!
- Virtually Hatch 9 10KM Eggs With A Very Patient Redditor
- 3 Reasons Why Pokémon GO Spawn Rates & Times Increased After Halloween Event
- Want a PokéStop Near You? Players Have Finally Discovered a Way to do It.
- Ditto & Generation 2 Pokémon Have Been Found In Pokémon GO Code!
- What Would Your Favorite Pokémon Look Like if it Were Human?
- Pokémon GO Has Made the World a Healthier Place
- The Original Pokémon Movie Returns to Cinemark Theaters
- Niantic Announces a New Feature to Help Catch Rare Pokémon!
- Pokémon GO Helps UK Animal Shelter Raise $13K in One Night
- South Korea’s Pokémon GO-nuts: Gotta Munch ‘Em All
- Pokéanatomy – An Artistic Vision of the Science Behind a Pokémon’s Inner Workings!
- UK Artist Cat Ward Is Evolving Pokémon into Mandalas
- Pokémon of New York: A Hilarious Parody of Humans of New York
- The 6 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Pokémon GO
- The Elusive Ditto: Everything We Know About The Pokémon Everybody Wants To Catch
- Pokémon GO Battle Guide: The Best Moves For Each Species
- Find Out The Perfect IVs For 2km, 5km, & 10km Egg Hatches
- The Hardest Pokémon to Catch in Pokémon GO
- Pokémon GO Candy Predictions for Gen 2 Evolutions
- These 10 Pokémon are the Most Powerful in Pokémon GO Right Now
- Quiz: How Many of These 20 Original Pokémon Can You Name?
- A Guy Caught A Pokémon While He Was Fighting ISIS
- A Guy Played Pokémon GO at 3AM and Got More Than He Bargained For